The Great Lakes Shipyard’s dry docking of Erie’s Flagship, NIAGARA

by Hans | September 29th, 2011

Cleveland, Ohio. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Historical and Museum Commission had Erie’s Flagship, the US Brig NIAGARA, delivered to Great Lakes Shipyard, Cleveland, Ohio this week.

In 1992, Great Lakes Shipyard installed auxiliary engines in the Brig and since then has been contracted to conduct the NIAGARA’s routine inspections in compliance with federal regulations, the U.S. Coast Guard, and the American Bureau of Shipping. This year’s dry docking will include surveying the ship out of water, cleaning and painting of the hull, mechanical inspection of the propeller, and other routine maintenance.

The Flagship NIAGARA is owned and maintained by the PA Historical and Museum Commission, an agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. She is a reconstruction of the ship that Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry led to victory during the Battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813. Recognized in both the United States and abroad, the NIAGARA is considered the most authentic early 19th century replica naval vessel, one of the nation’s largest “tall ships” at 198′, and a premier sail training ship. 

The bicentennial celebration of  Commodore Perry and the NIAGARA’s Battle of Lake Erie victory will take place in September, 2013. Great Lakes Shipyard, a division of The Great Lakes Towing Company, operates a full-service shipyard specializing in new construction, repairs, and modifications of all types of workboats and barges. A major Shipyard expansion project at its Cleveland location is now well-underway and includes a new state-of-the-art 770-ton Marine Travelift; the largest on the Great Lakes, second largest in the Western Hemisphere, and the third largest in the World.

The yard facilities also include a 300-ton floating dry dock, which is being used for the NIAGARA. Recent projects include the construction of two aluminum research vessels for U.S. Geological Survey and a $23 million contract with SEACOR Holdings, Inc. to build two tugs for operations at the Hovensa Oil Refinery in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. In addition to the Shipyard, The Great Lakes Towing Company operates the largest fleet of tugs on the Great Lakes serving 40 ports and has been in continuous business since 1899.

To learn more about the company and its shipyard, visit www.thegreatlakesgroup.com.

Press Release

Related Posts:

Leave a Reply

Transport & Offshore Services
Astilleros Armon
Van Wijngaarden Marine Services B.V.
DMT MARINE EQUIPMENT
Alphatron Marine
Robert Allan Ltd
Damen Shipyard Group
Sea Conquest Marine Surveys & Consultancy
Sanmar Denizcilik A.?
W.K.M. Cornelisse Trading B.V.
Bogazici Shipping