Steam Tug Madison

by Hans | August 3rd, 2014

The Madison backing down to take way off her for a portrait. Owned by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad, she was a combination tug used for towing barges and lighters as well as car floats.

Because of this, she had a short house and an open deck aft to facilitate towing astern. She also carried accommodations for her master in the high bootheel pilothouse, so named because its shape suggested the inverted heel of a boot. The hose running below the boat deck just under the wheelhouse in the photo is for taking on fresh water.
The Madison was built in 1906 in Port Richmond, New York, and measured 94 feet long. In 1959 she was converted to an 1,800 horsepower diesel. She then went to New Orleans, where she was employed outside the railroad trade.

Source: On the Hawser by Steven Lang & Peter H. Spectre

Related Posts:

Leave a Reply

Damen Shipyard Group
Astilleros Armon
W.K.M. Cornelisse Trading B.V.
Bogazici Shipping
Transport & Offshore Services
DMT MARINE EQUIPMENT
Sanmar Denizcilik A.?
Van Wijngaarden Marine Services B.V.
Robert Allan Ltd
Alphatron Marine
Copland Events